Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Treasure Hunt

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will."  --Romans 12:2 NIV

This passage is a familiar one, isn't it? I'll bet you have heard your fair share of sermons that stressed the transformation described in this verse. I'm guessing that I have read those words hundreds of times. But something different happened when I read it a few days ago. I noticed something -- something I had never seen before -- one word that changed everything for me at the exact moment I needed it the most. It's rather amazing that the Father would reveal it to me now. But the time is now! This is my time.
Before I tell you of my revelation, I have to praise God for his sovereignty over my life and for his perfect, perfect timing. I have to thank Him that He gave me the strength to carry on, trusting that He would bring me to this time of fulfilling my purpose, in spite of my complaining, pleading, lamenting, crying and yes, even begging. You see, I have had a dream for a very, very long time.

Last August I received an email inviting me to be a part of an eight-month, in-depth study of spiritual disciplines with a large group at my church. And while I was immediately intrigued, I was also very hesitant because I thought this kind of commitment might be just another diversion that would keep me from my one desire -- to write a book for Him. But He IMMEDIATELY said, "You need this." I signed up. And now, having just completed the course, "Conversations," He now guides me in the writing and I am totally in awe and in debt to my God and King.

Back to the verse:

             "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." 

Now this revelation, this "AHA" moment, this realization of what I had missed came to me on Sunday morning, April 21, 2013, before leaving for worship services. And I realized that, in spite of my best intentions over the past two years to become fully surrendered, I still wasn't there yet. And if this revelation was not enough, the sermon totally did me in. The three points of the message were: unwilling obedience, mean Christians and partial transformation. I'm guessing you know which of these points got the better of me. And so I had to ask myself, "Am I fully transformed?"
The sermon was followed by a video to bring home the points of the message. One of the last phrases resonated with me as I walked out the door: "It's our time -- let's get to writing because it's our time." WOW.

While I am still a work in progress, striving for complete transformation, I feel a sense of freedom and exhilaration. My pencil is gliding across white pages almost effortlessly as I receive the thoughts, impressions and messages He gives. It's been a long time coming. No matter -- the time is now. It's my time, my turn.

And so I leave you with these questions. Are you fully or partially transformed? Are you stuck and feeling that your dream is out of reach? Are you wondering why you are frustrated that God gave you a dream and that dream is looking impossible right now?

While the Romans 12:2 passage may not be your "AHA" moment, I'm sure there is one somewhere in that beautiful love letter that God has written to you. Maybe it's time for a treasure hunt.

1 comment:

  1. CJ. good thoughts and self-awareness about the work of God in your life. blessings. pastor b

    ReplyDelete