Saturday, July 3, 2021

Whose Dream Is It Anyway?

 

“Come near to God and he will come near to you.”

James 4:8 (NIV)

You have most likely experienced times in your life when you don’t know where God is or why you haven’t heard his voice. That dream you believe God gave you is not coming to fruition, and you begin to wonder if it was wishful thinking on your part and not his plan at all. But if that dream continuously refuses to die, no matter how many times you doubted, it may be time to look at your life and discern the actual level of your intimacy with God.

I had a wake-up call recently, and it startled me into facing up to the fact that I had been running away from God. I was wasting precious time day after day, losing myself in computer games. I knew it wasn’t pleasing to him, but I couldn’t stop. After seeking him out and confessing my remorse, my reason for running became clear – I was running away from him and my dream.

I ran because of a lack of confidence in my calling to write. I felt inadequate, lacking in talent, and intimidated by the idea of publishing. I felt like I had a mountain to climb. My running made things even more difficult because God’s promises in the Bible were fading in my memory as I moved further and further away from him.

“For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.” Philippians 2:13 (NIV)

God works in us.

When we look to our own power, especially as we strive to achieve our God-given calling, we are putting roadblocks in our path. I was my own worst enemy. How long had I strayed from this truth?

The same power that lifted Jesus from the grave is available to you and me when we admit that we are powerless. “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)

If you’re stuck, maybe it’s because you’re drawing from the wrong well. Please don’t give up on your dream; give up the roadblocks to it. Face them, confess them, and then surrender your control to the Father’s power that is already at work in you.

2 comments:

  1. C.J.: I published a book. It did not do as well as I hoped, not even close. I made some mistakes in my approach. Earlier, a blogging/writing friend told me, in response to a question I had, that maybe I was called to use writing as a hobby. I enjoy blogging. I find comfort in connecting with other bloggers. I have yet to find a periodical that is geared toward my writing-that of Christian devotions and essays. But, I still blog away, when I can. Health issues have made it difficult for me to be as consistent as I once was. Keep writing, keep blogging. More importantly, keep praying. God wiil lead you to where you should be in writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I know that God will lead me and I know he called me to write. So, I am writing. I have this quote on my printer so I can see it whenever I am at my desk (which is where I should be!). "Inspiration usually comes during work, rather than before it." Madeleine L'Engle

      PS - Your book may not have done as well as you had hoped, but you can be sure that God put it in the right hands at just the right time.

      Delete